Monday, January 14, 2008

Tales from the Off-Season: Part 1

The Schelotto saga

He wants to go, no wait he wants to stay, wait he wants to go again. At this point I have no clue what's on Guille's mind. Columbus fans are surely biting their nails as their best player is doing a quality Mitt Romney impersonation, changing his mind daily it seems. I don't expect this to end quietly. I wouldn't be surprised if Schelotto offers the Crew an ultimatum, "Pay me more or I'm gone!"

DP rumors a plenty

Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Veron, Shevchenko, Zurawski and just about anyone over the age of 30 who has had a decent career have been linked with a potential MLS move. Some of these (Veron, Figo, Zurawski) I see happening in the summer, others (everyone else) I don't envision ever coming to fruition. It will be interesting to see who the second batch of Designated Players will be, but expect more ridiculous rumors as time goes on.

Who's leaving?

Eddie Johnson has several teams chasing him, Taylor Twellman and Kenny Cooper want out of MLS, while Troy Perkins, Clarence Goodson and others have already jumped ship. The revolving door of talent that is MLS will ask for new stars to step up this year as it seems the league is having a "clearance sale". I'm honestly worried where the goals will come from if all our top strikers want out, but I'm hoping the league higher-ups will bend the rules a bit to allow for more pay to keep some of the guys here. In short, I'm worried.

MLS in the national team

The U-23 camp and current senior team camp are almost entirely made of MLS players and it will be interesting to see how they fare in the US' upcoming fixtures. There really isn't much to talk about, just more of a "congrtulations" to the boys.

No comments: